Dec 11, 2012

Actual Sewing Content

DId I give an update on the interview?  No?  Very well then.

I got the job!!!

I start in April, when the spring quarter begins.  I'll be teaching basic sewing, as well as an intermediate or special topics class.  RIght now I'm thinking of doing a series where we work through my (current) favorite sewing book, Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing: A Modern Guide to Couture-Style Sewing Using Basic Vintage Techniques
.  It's got some awesome patterns an great info about vintage sewing and fitting.

In honor of that, I'm going to try repurposing things.  Not upcycling, but reusing.  I'm starting with sheets.  Sheets are an awesome source of fabric.  They're nice and big, and usually have already been washed a million times, which means shrunk as much as possible.  They're generally 100% cotton.  Best of all, you can get them for a couple bucks at Goodwill!  I got this one today, which will become a shirt dress.


I picked up another vintagey looking floral one, too, as well as a white one to do a fitting muslin in.  

Now if you do a search for "dress made from sheet" you'll find some.... creative things.  Usually not well done.  People see it and think SHEET.  SQUARE.  CANNOT CUT.  But it's just fabric.  It was cheaper than anything you can get at a fabric store, so USE IT!  If you mess it up, you're only out a few bucks.  

Tomorrow I need to go get some tracing paper and materials to cut out the pattern without dorking up the sheets that came with the book.  No, I don't have any idea where mine are.  I blame the movers.  


No comments: