Nov 12, 2012

Dress madness!

You all know I'm kind of a crazy bitch.  So why would it surprise ANY of you that I"m attempting to make a cocktail dress in a week and half, the same week I have two shoots scheduled AND I'm having the refrigerator repaired and about half the windows in the house replaced?  Really, why?

The reason for this is because of the string of misfortunes that have befallen us in the last month.  I was going to pass on the dress making.  I figured with everything going on, I'd just go buy something and call it good.  Yeah, that cash has been SPENT.  In the last month we've had to get a plumber in to fix an exploding toilet supply line; had our washer quit, then when we got a washer from a friend, were rear-ended in the rental pickup, thereby destroying said washer and forcing us to go buy a brand new one; and had the refrigerator crap out once, and now possibly crap out again, necessitating the purchase of a chest freezer.  Luckily we had gift cards and got both the washer and freezer on insane sale, but still, that doesn't leave me much dress money, esp when I have to get something for Justin and Maddie to wear.

The occasion in question is my friend Kay's wedding.  It's an evening wedding, which means fancier than usual.  Plus it's in Monterey, CA, which has a whole 'nother state between it and us.  That means hotels and gas.  On the flip side, it also means Thanksgiving with Justin's family, which is awesome.

So here's the dress:


It's the Sultry Sheath from Gertie's New Book for Better Sewing (which if you don't have already, go to Amazon and buy.  It's ok.  I'll wait.  It's amazing, and totally worth the $22.  Plus it comes wit patterns!).  A wonderful LSGer sent me some teal dupioni silk, which means all I need to get is some lining fabric from Joann's.  There are always coupons and sales, plus lining fabric is cheap, so I theoretically have a silk cocktail dress for less than $20.  The pattern looks pretty simple.  Once I have the muslin fit, it shouldn't take too long, since I'll use all the markings from the muslin to cut the lining and the silk, and it's just a matter of stitching.  Right?  Right.  RIGHT.  

Sure.  

I've traced it out on muslin and cut that out.  I'll baste that together tonight and fit it, all with my new sewing machine.  (Yes, I have a new sewing machine.  Two actually, one vintage and one all fancy and computerized.  But that's for another post.  This is about extreme dressmaking!)  

So yeah.  Making a silk cocktail dress, while figuring out a new sewing machine, working, having refrigerators repaired and windows replaced, and packing for a 5 day driving trip is fucking crazy.   I'm fucking crazy.  But you knew that, didn't you?  

1 comment:

Jess said...

I wish you the best of luck with the dress! I feel that to say more would invoke Murphy's Law.