Jun 3, 2012

The Tale of the Fail Bagels

I"ve been on a baking kick recently.  I've posted a few times about finding the perfect pizza dough.  I think I've got it!


The crust was chewy, yet firm, a little puffier than I like but overall tasted great.  I made calzones with it last night and it was just as fabulous.  

And then there were the Fail Bagels.  

I know I've talked about bagels before.  I love bagels.  LOVE. THEM.  There is nothing better than a NY bagel toasted with butter.  Or toasted and turned into a turkey and cheese sammich.  Or covered in dirt from the ground.  I don't really care.  BAGELS.  YUM.  

I'm lucky enough that I have a wonderful friend who sends me bagels a few times a year from Manhattan.  She freezes them in Ziplocs, packs them into a flat rate box and I drop them in my freezer when they arrive three days later (if you want to try this, send them on a Monday so they don't get caught in the Sunday non-delivery day.  I always accept gifts of bagels.).  No, frozen bagels aren't perfect, but they're Northeast bagels, which are far superior to any other bagel even when frozen.  However, Missy can't keep me in bagels in the way I would like to be kept, so I need to attempt my own.  

Therein lies the problem.

I'm a pretty proficient baker.  However, every time I've attempted bagels, they are sad.  So very, very sad. Last time I didn't do a retarded rise overnight in the fridge, which I thought might be the problem.  Nope.  Not the problem.  This is what I got this morning when I pulled the bagels out of the fridge.


No problem, right?  They'll puff up when I boil/bake them!  

Uh, no.  Not so much.  After boiling and baking, I got this:


UGLY.  

They were tasteless, flat and soggy on the bottom.  EW.  Not even butter could fix them.  THEY MADE BUTTER SAD.  

I'm not sure what happened.  Well- I know a few things.  The recipe called for instant yeast- I used regular.  No parchment paper (although the bagels baked on the baking stone turned out better than those on the metal pan).  No malt extract.  Next time I will try these things.  

Or maybe I'll find a good bagelry in Tacoma.  


1 comment:

JoAnna said...

Bill makes bagels! I think the malt adds goodness. He recommends a "firm, supple dough," and boiling in water with baking soda for 45 seconds. He cooks them on silicone mats.

Good luck!! You can do it!!