Jul 15, 2010

Plans, they are a-changing

Yes, they are.  

I've alluded to this in past posts, but I didn't want to say anything till we had confirmation.  We'll be out of the military sometime next year.  Justin is getting med boarded again, and this time we and the drs agreed that asking for medical retirement is the best idea.  The bipolar disorder and PTSD are pinging off of each other too badly.  The drs are writing up the package, and it will go to the med group by the end of the month.  Then we have a looooooooong wait.  It's taking 6-8 months from the time it hits bif Air Force.  Then we get 90 days to out-process.  with any luck we'll make it to next July, Justin will get his next installment of his bonus and we'll be able to use it in our move.  

What move?  The one to Seattle!  We decided Seattle was the best place for us.  It's a big city, there are a lot fo opportunities for me as an artist, and Justin can go to UW for his psychology degree.  

I've also kind of changed my plans a bit.  I've been kicking the idea around of going back for a Masters, but I can't decide in what.  I love art history, but what the fuck am I going to do with it beside join all the other art historians at Starbucks?  I'e been looking at midwifery school for a while now.  I'm really passionate about the state of childbirth in our country (as in it SUCKS).  I was going to go to doula training, but hen I thought about it, I realized I should do the deliveries, too.  I was stuck, though, because I don't want to be a nurse, then go through midwife training.  Well, in another stroke of the Universe deciding my fate, I found out that Bastyr University combined with the Seattle Midwifery School to create the first MS in Midwifery in the US!  It's expensive, and I need to take some pre-reqs, but it's totally something I want to do.  I really believe in it.  And while I'll always be an artist, I can do a lot more good helping women give birth naturally and intervention free than I can ever do with my art.  

So that's where we are.  I'm pretty happy with the recent developments.  I'm finally starting to settle about the Ninja Pirate, too.  I think that's more because Justin is crazy supportive of all my choices with this one, and I know we're going to do just fine in Seattle.  Friends are coming out of the woodwork, inviting me to go all over as soon as we get there.  The Hive is amazing.  

1 comment:

choperena said...

That MS sounds so cool! A girl in my craft group is getting into midwifing, and she just loves it! (she'd studied art in college) As far as Seattle, I've never been, but everybody tells me it is amazing! And if you are looking for a hotel to visit, with really, really good food, my BFF's mom has a B&B and will just stuff you to the gills!

Good luck with the med leave, too!